Some of you might remember me telling you about Little L being tongue-tie. He is tied in two places. His labial frenelum which connects his upper lip to his gum line and his lower frenelum which connects his tongue to the bottom of his mouth. Well it runs in the family on Lindon James side so we knew that it would have to be clipped otherwise he would have speech problems. Well on Thursday he was scheduled for surgery. He had his one year plus pre-op appt. at the pediatricians on Tuesday. They gave him five shots! The poor little guy ran a fever for 48 hours. I ended up staying home with him on Wednesday and fortunately Thursday morning he didn't have a fever. Talk about running close cause if he had a fever we wouldn't be able to get his tongue clipped. We had to fight our insurance pretty good on this one cause we had to prove that it was a medical necessity. If they didn't cover it then we would have had to pay $1000 for the gas to put him down (he was only out for like five minutes) plus the $592 that we paid since the oral surgeon in town doesn't accept insurance, plus our $225 copay. Crazy Crazy, but fortunately the night before surgery our insurance called and said that we were approved. I have been fighting with these people for months. So now we pay 20% of the $1000. Thank goodness.
Anyway, I felt so bad putting him through this because he had been through so much with his fever the past few days and being drugged up to keep the fever down. We got up at 5 am and left about 5:45. We left Lindon in just a diaper on the way into Surgicare. It was so cute cause it was a nice warm morning so we let the windows down (he loves the wind in his face) and rode in. He was sitting there like such a little man all peaceful enjoying his little ride having no clue what was about to happen. I felt so bad. Our appt. was for 6:30 and we were the first patients so they set us right up and we had to change him into his little gown and go through the procedure with all the doctors. When they took him away from me we kissed him on the cheek and said good bye and the little guy started crying so hard. That was the hardest thing ever. I couldn't talk cause I was tearing up and I didn't want to start crying and him get worked up. In my head I was telling him to be so strong and that it would all be over soon. It was the hardest ever to watch your little baby be taken off by a stranger, him screaming and reaching out his hand and me knowing what was about to happen. As soon as we got out of site I couldn't help it, I broke down. 10 minutes into everything a nurse came out and let me know he was down. Then about 6 minutes from that I hear him screaming bloody murder from somewhere back there. I started getting really anxious cause I thought he had woken up during the procedure. I thought for sure it was that fast. I went to the front desk after a few minutes of hearing him screaming and not being able to take not knowing what was going on and asked to lady to check on him. At that same moment a doctor came out and said he did great. So we went into the recovery room and I got to hold him. The anesthesia hadn't worn off so he was screaming bloody murder and wouldn't calm down. He was thrashing and kicking and flinging his head around. It was so hard to watch cause he was scared. He was not feeling good. After about 30 min. of that he settled down and we left. He is doing much better now, thank God. We had a few rough moments where he was in so much pain that he just cried for an hour straight, but we are past that now.


1 comment:
that sounds really hard Heather - to see him crying before surgery and then hurting after. Luckily its over and he won't remember it at all. :( Makes you really think of how hard it must be for parents with chronically or severely ill children. :( So sad. But, sounds like you guys certainly did the right thing.
Post a Comment